Thursday, April 24, 2008

All a Bit Of an Anticlimax, Innit?

It was a rather uneventful torch relay this morning, for the most part, save for a few arrests at the very start and the idiot who sat in the middle of the road in front of an in-motion torchbearer and a stream of federal police. It's one thing to try and disrupt an event you obejct to, it's another thing to put yourself and another person in harm's way. Oh, and Ian Thorpe lit the cauldron at the end, basking in the flickering flame, only for it it to die out completely a moment later. Show me a better metaphor for his sporting career and I will show you a silenced blogger.

Anyhoo. I missed most of the relay. I saw the opening ceremony and the first few runners, but then I had to go to the orthodontist to get my braces tightened. By the time I got back, most of the leg had been run. Sadly, Sky News kept cutting to its reporters in Commonwealth Park and the Sunrise program re-played their sports reporter's run with the torch 3 times (I am not kidding). So I hope somebody did catch a glimpse of Dasha with the torch in the end. She deserves a bit of mainstream media attention. I'm guessing one of the newspapers tomorrow (most likely The Age) will have photos of all the torchbearers like they did with the Sydney relay.

To anyone wondering, this little fuzzy blogging duck is attending Nationals for the Senior and Junior AA/EF (Friday night), Level 10 AA/EF (Saturday daytime) and the Apparatus Challenge (Sunday). I've got access to a camera, and there will be someone else filming with me but the more the merrier, I say! Come and say hello, I don't bite! If there are about 10 people with video cameras, then just look for the short one fumbling with the equipment and looking like she has no idea what she's doing. And when she laughs, you'll see braces. That'll be me.

ETA: Here she is! Squinty-eyed but proud!

She must have been towards the very end, seeing as she's #74. Somewhere around the #70 mark, all the news stations covering it shifted focus to Commonwealth Park where the relay would end. So by all accounts, Dasha missed a stint on television.


Special thanks to covert-ops agent and media watchdog Nade.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Mez,
Make sure you double check as the schedule was changed slightly. The Saturday AM session is Int 10 AA/App Finals and the Friday night is Senior/Junior AA/App Finals. Can't wait to see the girls and how they are looking for Beijing. It will be good to watch the Juniors and Int 10 girls for the next quadrennium - i hear there are a couple injured though - Maryanne Mockton NSW (Does anyone know if she is still injured - haven't seen her name on any trials yet)Zoe Lorenzin - Int 10 (I hear she is injured and will just miss out this year)

Mez said...

Ok thanks. I thought juniors and Level 10 were combined on Saturday, but its clearly the Friday. I suppose that's because there aren't that many seniors.


I fixed it :)