Saturday, April 12, 2008

Leave Him Alone, It's His First Day.

I missed quite a bit of Doha Day 2 today, or should I say 'yesterday' seeing as midnight has passed.

My boyfriend (yes, that's right Nay-Saying People From My High School, it's an actual humanoid boyperson of my very own) was over and he graciously permitted me to flick over to FoxSports during the film we were kind-of-not-really-watching to see how the competition was progressing. I caught a bit of the men's vault final and most of the women's beam final (I heart Gaelle Mys to the max, and am happy that Elyse H-H has tidied up her leg form a bit but seriously, Adela Saijn of Slovenia? You're on global television. Don't let the Romanian girlies suck you into their Eurotrash Fashion Vortex).

It was quite funny, actually. When my Mum and I went to Worlds '05 and the Commonwealth Games at Rod Laver Arena, she didn't say much. She'd clap and quietly say "oooh!" and "oh, good girl!" at various points but she was patient as I scribbled notes furiously and didn't seem to want to bother me. But Mr Mez today was quite inquisitive and to me it was rather arresting. I've never had people ask me questions about competitions as they've unfolded before, save for my Dad when I was watching '06 Worlds all-around in the same room as him. "Is that Svetlana girl still around?... Remind me again, do the girls do the roman rings?... Are China good? We don't want China to win, do we? Their girls win everything, don't they?"

Today I actually found myself explaining the scoring system (rest assured, I suffixed said explanation with, "but it's all totally confusing and lame and everybody hates it") and the nature of the competition. I even threw in a mention of Oksana Chusovitina's long reign and brief talk of Team China's oft-overlooked elegance in opposition to Team Romania's perplexing fugliness.

I just got thrown when I kept being asked, "so would you class that as a good routine?" because as we all know, there is a vast array of elements to go into in one's answer to something like that...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mezzie !!

A 'vast myriad'?? ... come now.

Ribbit

Anonymous said...

you were just flustered becuase your bf is all male and all.

Mez said...

Enh. Typed in a hurry. Proof-reading is not my strong point.

Edited to fix the vocab. :P