Friday, April 4, 2008

The Road to Nationals

'lo everyone.

It's nice to see some comments rolling in.

I'm still quite sick (got another night off work because my voice has dissipated almost entirely) so please take heed and view the blog from a plexiglass-secured distance, lest you get infected too. It ain't SARS, but it's close enough to be invited to the SARS family picnic.

Anyway.
Very big thanks to the people who let me know about the comp on this weekend. I read the comments wrong and thought it was the Victorian Championships but they've already been on! Apparently this is the MLC International & Senior Classic (involving National Levels 6-10, International Level 5 and Senior International). Unfortunately (well, not entirely unfortunately but I use it for lack of a better word) I've been shouted tickets to the live Comedy Festival edition of Good News Week at the Melbourne Town Hall on Saturday so that counts me out. Potentially I *could* go but
a) I don't have anyone to drag along with me
b) I've got no way of getting there
c) I'd be pushing it to get from the comp to the Town Hall on time

Please understand that I would go if I had the ways and means!

Far be it from me to dissuade anybody from taking notes/photos at the comp. I'm most happy to post up [or link to] your observations and media from the meet, provided no hurtful or overtly discriminatory comments about the gymnasts/teams are contained within them. Nobody likes a sentence that begins, "my friend's in her class at school and reckons that she..."
Personally, I'm most interested in the progress of the Senior Internationals, but as a faux-journalist I'll take anything I can get :P

Let me know if you're thinking of going to Nationals, too, and who you'll be cheering for. I'll hopefully be filming again, with a few others in tow.

Have a nice weekend, everyone.
If you're at the Comedy Festival, look out for a short freckly girl in a thick scarf, carrying an industrial-sized tub of Vicks Vaporub in her handbag...

PS: Ticketek- you're off the Christmas card list. This is not a happy face.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

...the flyer doesn't say the time of the meet... I'll be at Nationals. And I'll be physically at Ticketek in the city on the morning of April 8th to force them to sell tickets to me even if they haven't bothered putting the event up. :P Although it's really not an issue since it's General Admission. Yay to Comedy Festival. I'm seeing Tripod and something else undecided-as-of-yet. Excited. By the way, I do love Olivia's (writing) style. It's just so bubbly and natural. And blackouts do suck. Good luck with the cold...

Mez said...

Tripod are great, I saw them last night HOWEVER there are about 2 new songs in the whole bunch. If you're a hardcore fan who's got their albums, you'll be both pleased and disappointed to hear old stuff (HotDog Man, the acapella song about the Eastern Suburbs, Hot Girl in the Comic Shop etc). It's mostly stuff they did on the Sideshow and in their show last year, plus a David Bowie cover. Hope your support act is good. We were at first a bit bummed to not have The Bedroom Philosopher but as it turned out, Die Roten Punkte were fantastic!!!

Other comedians I'd recommend for you to consider- Mark Watson, David O'Doherty, Jason Byrne, Ross Noble (of course), Nina Conti.

Anonymous said...

Hey Mez?? Vics are on 18 - 20 April at MLC. They haven't been on yet. .... Ribbit

Anonymous said...

what is the go with nationals? why are we mad with ticketek?

Anonymous said...

Get well soon Mez (Although I must say your additional time at home has been very pleasant for us Blog fans!)

Mez said...

Haven't been on yet, you say?

Hm...

*strokes chin sagely*

Anonymous said...

That's correct - this weekend at MLC is only an invitational. Vic's for International 5 to Senior are the weekend of the 19th and 20th April. Inter 5-8 are on in the morning and Int 10 - Senior are on in the afternoon

Anonymous said...

Hey Mez,
Hope you are feeling better. The MLC comp on the weekend was nice but not all clubs were competing and not all girls from the clubs that were competed either. The HPC girls took out the individual all around in Inter 6, Inter 8, Inter 10, Junior and Senior but still heaps of skills not yet perfected in 8 and 10 - hopefully these girls will have them for Vic Championships. Fiona Coley (i think she is HPC) did a great Beam routine which was very impressive